India concerned over reported chemical weapons use in Syria
New Delhi: India said Thursday that it is a matter of grave concern if reports of use of chemical weapons in Syria are confirmed.
The external affairs ministry spokesperson said in a statement: "There have been media reports regarding alleged use of chemical weapons in areas near Damascus in Syria, resulting in a large number of casualties. If the use of chemical weapons is confirmed, it is a matter of grave concern.
"India has consistently supported the complete destruction and elimination of chemical weapons world-wide.
"Pending their elimination, it is vitally important to ensure safe and secure custody of chemical stockpiles and prevent their access to terrorists and non-state actors.
"We stress that the international legal norm against the use of chemical weapons anywhere and by anyone must not be breached."
Syrian rebel fighters have accused Syrian President Bashar Al Assad`s forces of firing chemical-tipped weapons into rebel-held areas near Damascus, killing hundreds of civilians. Assad`s government has denied the charges.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents