India conveys concerns to France of military supplies to Pak
New Delhi: India has conveyed its concerns to France over its sale of armament to Pakistan amid apprehensions that such supplies are used for purposes other
than fight against terror.
"Yes it was raised," French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said when asked whether such concerns were conveyed during his meetings with his Indian counterpart AK Antony and Chiefs of Army and Navy.
India is concerned over military supplies by some western countries to Pakistan in the name of fight against terrorism, saying these are used to augment its defence capabilities rather than for the purpose intended.
Longuet argued that the French supplies are to enable Pakistan intercept terrorists.
"I can tell you the military equipment which France is selling to Pakistan is only for interception and electronic purposes to fight terrorists," he said.
Longuet evaded a direct reply on whether France would stop sale of heavy weaponry to Pakistan in the wake of Osama Bin Laden being found in Abbottabad.
"This part of the world needs some clarification and stability as well. India is an old strategic partner...Regarding Pakistan we are waiting for clarifications," he
On relationship between France and Pakistan in aftermath of killing of Bin Laden near Islamabad, Longuet said, "I have insisted that terrorism could not be the weapon for anybody and any government. The demise of Bin Laden should be the
opportunity to clarify responsibilities and the dialogue between US and Pakistan will pay attention to this."
He expressed hope that the information Americans get on Pakistan and its war against terrorism would be shared with all members of the coalition against terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam