India conveys concerns to France of military supplies to Pak
New Delhi: India has conveyed its concerns
to France over its sale of armament to Pakistan amid
apprehensions that such supplies are used for purposes other
than fight against terror.
"Yes it was raised," French Defence Minister Gerard
Longuet said when asked whether such concerns were conveyed
during his meetings with his Indian counterpart AK Antony and
Chiefs of Army and Navy.
India is concerned over military supplies by some western
countries to Pakistan in the name of fight against terrorism,
saying these are used to augment its defence capabilities
rather than for the purpose intended.
Longuet argued that the French supplies are to enable
Pakistan intercept terrorists.
"I can tell you the military equipment which France is
selling to Pakistan is only for interception and electronic
purposes to fight terrorists," he said.
Longuet evaded a direct reply on whether France would
stop sale of heavy weaponry to Pakistan in the wake of Osama
Bin Laden being found in Abbottabad.
"This part of the world needs some clarification and
stability as well. India is an old strategic partner...
Regarding Pakistan we are waiting for clarifications," he
On relationship between France and Pakistan in aftermath
of killing of Bin Laden near Islamabad, Longuet said, "I have
insisted that terrorism could not be the weapon for anybody
and any government. The demise of Bin Laden should be the
opportunity to clarify responsibilities and the dialogue
between US and Pakistan will pay attention to this."
He expressed hope that the information Americans get on
Pakistan and its war against terrorism would be shared with
all members of the coalition against terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral