India deciding stand on Sri Lanka resolution: Khurshid
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid Friday said India was in the "process" of deciding its stand on the resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nation`s Human Rights Council, likely to be brought by the US.
"The process of deciding on the resolution is underway. We will engage with all member countries," Khurshid told the Rajya Sabha.
The minister was responding after some members in the upper house expressed concern over students in Tamil Nadu sitting on fast to press their demand that the central government to support the resolution against Sri Lanka.
The matter was raised by DMK member Tiruchi Siva and backed by AIADMK member V Maitreyan and TK Rangarajan of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
Khurshid said the government was "committed" to the cause of Sri Lankan Tamils, and that was why it supported the resolution against Sri Lanka last year.
"There must be a life of dignity and equality for Sri Lankan Tamils. This was the objective of supporting the resolution last year. We are in the process of finalising the stand this time, and will inform the house when we do so," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!