India develops new tactical missile `Pragati`
New Delhi: India has developed a new tactical surface-to-surface missile `Pragati` with a range between 60-170 km and will offer it to friendly countries.
The new missile, now on display at a defence exhibition in South Korea, is based on the Prahaar missile developed by the DRDO for the Army and can be termed as its export variant with minor differences, a DRDO official said today.
The government has approved that it may be offered to friendly countries if anyone shows interest in it, he said.
The missile is the main exhibit of the DRDO which is showcasing an array of indigenous weapons at the Seoul International Aerospace and Defense Exhibition (ADEX 2013).
This is the first time ever that an array of latest defence equipment developed by the DRDO, will be unveiled internationally at such a scale. DRDO chief Avinash Chander is leading the Indian delegation at the show.
"DRDO is showcasing `Pragati` tactical missile, `Akash` missile system and `Tejas` LCA and its variants. Explosive Detection Kit developed by the DRDO and recently launched in the US will be yet another key exhibit," a release by the Indian embassy in South Korea said.
The LCA is a long-delayed project of the DRDO which is yet to be completed and the aircraft not been inducted by the IAF so far.
ADEX 2013 is expected to host more than 300 companies from 33 countries. DRDO`s participation also commemorates the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed