India discusses nuclear energy with Japan
New Delhi: India on Friday discussed with
Japan, reeling under its worst nuclear crisis in the past six
decades, "various aspects" related to atomic energy.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, the first high-level
official to visit Japan after last month`s twin disaster, also
offered India`s assistance in "any way required", to which the
Japanese side expressed its appreciation for the help provided
to it so far.
Rao held discussions with Japanese Vice-Foreign
Minister Kenichiro Sasae and Deputy Foreign Minister Koro
Bessho in Tokyo during which she also conveyed that India had
not yet taken a decision on banning Japanese food imports, a
release from the Ministry of External Affairs said here.
India will consult Japan prior to taking a decision on
the advisory issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority
of India, she told the Japanese side.
Pointing to the importance of nuclear power as a clean
source of energy for India`s continued growth, the two sides
exchanged views on various aspects related to nuclear energy.
"Both sides will continue to discuss the way forward for
cooperation in this sphere," the release said.
A magnitude 9.0 earthquake on March 11 devastated
northeast Japan and damaged the atomic facility at Fukushima
that is presently the centre of the country`s worst nuclear
crisis since World War II. The nuclear mishaps in Japan raised
question about the safety of nuclear plants in India, forcing
government to come out with a report on the issue.
Rao held constructive and useful discussions on
bilateral, regional and global issues during which both sides
agreed to have Ministerial-level Economic Dialogue apart from
initiating an India-Japan-US trilateral dialogue.
"The two sides agreed that the new Ministerial-level
Economic Dialogue, announced by the Prime Ministers at their
Annual Summit in Tokyo in October 2010, will be led by the
Foreign Ministers of the two countries. The first meeting of
the Dialogue will take place later this year," it said.
It was also agreed to establish an India-Japan-United
States trilateral dialogue on regional and global issues of
shared interest. These consultations, agreed to earlier by the
US, will be conducted by the Foreign Ministries of the three
She also called on Foreign Minister Takeaki
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM