India dismisses reports of setting up checkpoints in Nepal
Kathmandu: India on Wednesday dismissed media reports here that it had proposed to establish immigration checkpoints at Pashupatinagar and Lumbini in Nepal, and termed it as "misleading representation" of what was discussed during home secretary level talks here last month.
"These are misleading representations of discussions held during the home secretary level talks between India and Nepal held in Kathmandu on June 1," the Indian embassy here said in a press release.
"The proposal to set up immigration check points on both sides of the border at Pashupatinagar and Lumbini was made in good faith and in the best interests of Nepal in order to facilitate foreign tourist traffic (of third country nationals) through these points," the embassy said.
Immigration checkpoints are never established by any country in the territory of the other country, but adjacent to each other in their own territories, the statement said.
"There is no question whatsoever, therefore, of India establishing immigration points within Nepalese territory at Pashupatinagar and Lumbini."
"The fact is that both countries had discussed setting up such immigration check points in their respective territories at these two points (Pashupatinagar and Lumbini) along the India-Nepal border," it said.
A section of Nepali media, referring to the minutes of the home secretary-level talks, had claimed that India had proposed to set up immigration check points at Lumbini and Pashupatinagar.
In the meantime, a writ was also filed at the Supreme Court of Nepal on July 9 and the court issued an interim order to the government not to implement the decision and not allow India to set up such immigration checkpoints.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof