India elected to 47-nation UN Human Rights Council
United Nations: India and 14 other
countries were today elected to the 47-nation UN Human Rights
Council, which is based in Geneva.
India was not in competition for the seat since there
were four countries and four seats for the Asia block. With
189 countries voting, Indonesia received 184 votes,
Philippines 183, India 181 and Kuwait 166.
Other countries to be elected to the Council included
Burkina Faso, Botswana, Congo, Benin, Czech Republic, Romania,
Chile, Costa Rica, Peru, Italy and Austria.
These countries will begin their term on June 19 for a
three year term.
In the wake of international condemnation of its
crackdown on protesters, Syria gave up its seat to Kuwait.
UN Watch, a Geneva-based group that monitors the UN,
said that Burkina Faso, India, Philippines and Indonesia had
questionable qualifications to be on the human rights body.
It also said that Congo and Kuwait were unqualified to
sit on the Council. UN Watch said that India`s statement on
Syria`s recent crackdown had been "mixed."
It said that New Delhi had sent a "wrong message" to
Damascus by not putting human rights first and giving credit
to Syria for its "positive recent reforms."
India`s deputy envoy to the UN Manjeev Singh Puri
dismissed the characterization that New Delhi did not have the
Puri pointed out that India was the world`s largest
democracy with most multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society.
Noting the votes received in the General Assembly, he said to a news agency, "This is the world`s affirmation."
Meenakshi Ganguly, the South Asia director of Human
Rights Watch, said that India should play a positive and
leadership role on the Council.
"Too often strategic interests or geo political
loyalties have come in the way of holding governments
accountable for human rights violations and India should take
the lead inaltering this," she said.
In a letter sent to External Affairs Minister SM
Krishna ahead of the Human Rights Council election, Amnesty
International urged the Indian government to ratify the
Convention against Torture Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading
Treatment or Punishment.
On the domestic level, Amnesty International pointed
out national human rights bodies lack independent initiative
and adequate resources, and have a restricted mandate to
deliver on key concerns within the country.
India is ranked as "Free" in the 2011 report published
by the New York-based Freedom House, which an independent
watchdog that supports the expansion of freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!