India expects nations to honour N-deal commitments
New Delhi: India was on Wednesday unperturbed by
Nuclear Suppliers Group`s decision to strengthen guidelines on
enrichment and reprocessing (ENR) technology transfer, saying
it expected its bilateral agreements on full implementation of
nuclear deals to be fully honoured without any pre-conditions.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna asserted in the Lok
Sabha that the 46-nation NSG had granted "clean" exemption to
India "knowing fully well" that it is not a signatory to the
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and hoped the
international atomic order will "continue to evolve in India`s
He also underlined that India has "full mastery" of the
entire nuclear fuel cycle, including ENR technology and that
its transfer has "no bearing" on India`s upfront entitlement
to reprocess foreign origin spent fuel and the use of such
fuel in India`s own safeguard facilities.
"We are absolutely clear that as far as India is
concerned, the basis of our international civil nuclear
cooperation remains as contained in the special exemption from
the NSG guidelines given to India on September 6, 2008,"
Krishna said in a suo motu statement laid on the table.
Seeking to allay members` concerns over the issue after
NSG`s decision in June to strengthen guidelines on ENR
technology transfer, he said, "As far as we are concerned, the
September 2008 decision is the basis and overarching framework
that governs cooperation in civil nuclear matters between
India and the NSG."
Noting that the issue is the "full implementation of that
understanding", he said, "This is what we expect and our major
partners are committed to."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price