India facing dearth of civil engineers: Sreedharan
New Delhi: DMRC chief Sreedharan today rued
declining standards of civil engineering in the country and
said "severe shortage" of efficient engineers has affected
quality in infrastructure projects.
Sreedharan was speaking here after receiving the
"Outstanding Civil Engineering Project Award" instituted by
Institution of Civil Engineers.
"Civil Engineering standards, particularly in
construction industry is not up to the mark. We are not being
able to meet out country`s infrastructural needs," the DMRC
"There is severe shortage of architectural and civil
engineers. Where are they? Most of the good engineers either
choose management or go for other remunerative fields."
Talking about the metro system in the city, he said
DMRC`s motto is to ensure "highest efficiency and best
"We have been able to give the city a worldclass metro
system, carrying 14 lakh passengers everyday," he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Asian Civil Engineering
Coordinating Council Chairman Paul L Mitchell praised
Shreedharan for "pushing the knowledge of civil engineering
across the border."
He was referring to DMRC`s help to countries such as
Indonesia, Ireland and Sri Lanka to develop their own metro
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing