India following up case of attack on Indian origin man
New Delhi: India Saturday said it was
vigorously following up with Australian authorities the latest
attack on an Indian origin man in Melbourne and asked the
media to exercise restraint in reporting as it could have a
bearing on bilateral ties.
"The Indian High Commissioner in Canberra and Consul
General in Melbourne are following up this matter vigorously
with the Australian authorities," External Affairs Ministry
spokesman Vishnu Prakash said.
He said Indian authorities were informed that
29-year-old Jaspreet Singh had suffered burn injuries in an
attack by unidentified assailants in Melbourne early this
"No further details regarding the individual or incident
are available at present," he said.
Terming the incident as "unfortunate", Prakash said the
condition of the victim was not critical but he has been
hospitalised and is receiving treatment.
"Under the circumstances, the media is advised to
exercise utmost restraint in reporting on these sensitive
issues, as it could aggravate the situation and could have a
bearing on our bilateral relations with Australia," the
The attack comes a week after the murder of
21-year-old Indian graduate Nitin Garg in a Yarraville park
while he was on his way to his part-time job in a restaurant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?