India for peaceful dialogue to resolve Nepal crisi
Yangon: Amidst a constitutional crisis in Nepal, India today hoped all political parties there would continue to be guided by the "spirit of consensus and peaceful dialogue" to transform the country into a stable and democratic nation.
"We are closely monitoring developments in Nepal. We note the new Constitution could not be promulgated within the extended term of the Constitution Assembly.
"We have confidence in the democratic commitment and wisdom of the people of Nepal, which has led to considerable progress of the constitution making process," Syed Akbaruddin, spokesman of External Affairs Ministry, said in response to a media query on the recent developments in Nepal.
"We hope that the political parties of Nepal would continue to be guided by the spirit of consensus and peaceful dialogue in their efforts to transform Nepal into a stable, democratic and prosperous nation," he said, adding that India stands ready to assist, according to the wishes of the people of Nepal.
Following the failure to draft a new post-war Constitution by the May 27 deadline, the government, headed by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, dissolved the Constituent Assembly and announced to hold fresh elections on November 22.
Maoist Prime Minister Bhattarai`s move to disband the parliament has been challenged by five major political parties as "unconstitutional".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections