India for resolving marines issue as expeditiously as possible
New Delhi: India on Wednesday admitted that the marines issue has "complicated" its relationship with Italy but said dropping of charges under the stringent anti-piracy SUA law against the two accused was an indication of a "way forward" to resolve the matter.
Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh said India was looking to resolve the matter according to its own legal and judicial processes as "expeditiously as possible".
"I think the issue of the marines has complicated our relations with Italy. However, the fact that the charges against the marines under SUA have been dropped. This is an indication that there is a way forward," she told reporters.
On Monday, the government had told the Supreme Court that the two marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen will not be prosecuted under the stringent Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the safety of Maritime Navigation (SUA) that attracts death penalty as maximum punishment.
Accused marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie`, had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012. They are now lodged in Italian Embassy premises in New Delhi.
NIA completed its probe after questioning four Italian marines, who were witness to the incident, through video conferencing following their refusal to come to India.
The Italian government has been expressing disappointment over the slow pace of trial of the two marines and recalled its Ambassador in New Delhi Daniele Mancini for consultations last week while accusing Indian authorities of "unreliable" behaviour.
Italian foreign ministry had also summoned Indian envoy Basant Kumar Gupta on the issue.
The Italian government has also questioned the jurisdiction of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to investigate the case, saying that the agency cannot probe offences under the Indian Penal Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery