India for zero tolerance towards corruption: Prez
New Delhi: India is committed to greater
transparency and accountability in governance as also to the
policy of "zero tolerance" towards corruption, President
Pratibha Devisingh Patil said on Wednesday.
Quoting Mahatma Gandhi who termed corruption as a "moral
failure", the President said legislation alone would not be
enough to combat the menace but also requires looking at
individual behaviour as well as societal norms through mediums
of education, creation of awareness and moral regeneration.
"We are committed to greater transparency and
accountability in governance, as also to a policy of `zero
tolerance` towards corruption," she said after inaugurating
the Seventh Regional Conference of the ADB-OECD
Anti-Corruption Initiative for Asia and the Pacific Region on
`Building Multidisciplinary Frameworks to Combat Corruption`
"India has an elaborate legal and institutional framework
for preventing and combating corruption in public services. We
have a well structured system of recruitment, clear and
transparent policies of promotion, and elaborate conduct rules
for public officials for ensuring the maintenance of
integrity," the President said.
She said India ratified the United Nations Convention
Against Corruption in May 2011. "It has been a significant
step and would facilitate the furtherance of efforts to secure
effective international co-operation in tackling trans-border
corruption," she said.
The President said while domestic laws were substantially
compliant with the mandatory provisions of the UN Convention
except a couple of Articles, necessary legislations were
introduced in Parliament to fully adhere to.
"...the necessary Legislative Bill has been introduced in
Parliament, which relates to the prevention of bribery of
foreign public officials and officials of public international
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'