India forges diplomatic ties with `Wi-Fi nation`
New Delhi: Niue? What`s new? Last week, India quietly established formal diplomatic relations with Niue, a South Pacific island of 1,400 inhabitants, which is better known as the world`s first "Wi-Fi nation", in which free wireless Internet access is provided throughout the country.
Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed and Prime Minister of Niue Toke Talagi signed a joint communique on the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and Niue, at Cook Islands, on August 30, the External Affairs Ministry said here on Tuesday.
The signing ceremony took place on the sidelines of the 16-nation Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) in which India participates as a dialogue partner.
Niue is a member of regional bodies such as the Pacific Island Forum, the Pacific Community, the UNESCO and the WTO.
Better known the "Rock of Polynesia", Niue is 2,400 km northeast of New Zealand in a triangle between Tonga to the southwest, the Samoas to the northwest and the Cook Islands to the southeast.
A self-governing island, Niue is in free association with New Zealand, its biggest trading partner.
Except for defence and foreign relations, Niue runs its own affairs. All Niueans are New Zealand citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan