India-France joint military exercise begins
New Delhi: India and France on Monday began the
first-ever joint army exercise to share their expertise in
counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations.
"The two-week exercise is aimed at enhancing combat
skills, promoting mutual understanding and inter-operability
between the two armies. 60 troops from French 13 Mountain
Battalion and an equal number of soldiers from 2 Bihar
regiment are participating in the exercise which is being held
in Chaubattia in Ranikhet," an official release said here.
During the exercise codenamed "Shakti 2011", the troops
from the two countries will practice basic combat tactics
related to various aspects of counter-terrorism operations in
detail and exchange their combat techniques and skills, it
"The training syllabus also includes sharing of each
other`s experiences and lessons drawn from operations
undertaken by the two great armies," the release said.
The highlights of the training would be the final
consolidation exercise in which troops of both armies will
jointly plan and execute a series of counter-terrorist
The joint operations will including techniques and
employment of commandos in the thick forests on the
outskirts of Ranikhet.
"The exercise is likely to enhance defence cooperation
and military-to-military relations between the two nations and
will be a harbinger to future cooperation in ensuring world
peace and stability," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what