India Gate reverberates with victory chants
New Delhi: The India Gate resonated with
chants of `Vande Mataram` this evening as a large number of
people gathered at the war memorial to "celebrate the victory"
of civil society on Lokpal Bill issue.
Shouting slogans hailing Anna Hazare, who called off
his indefinite hunger strike this morning, people converged at
the war memorial and held a candle light vigil.
Chanting `Vante Mataram`, they took out small
processions near the India Gate. Some families, which had come
there for an evening outing also joined the celebrations.
Carrying anti-corruption placards, the youth danced to
the tunes of drum beats while others took out silent
marches. Some people were seen waving tricolors.
"This is a memorable day. It will be etched in our
memory for ever as people`s will prevailed over those in
power," said Anu Hazarika, an activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees