India Gate reverberates with victory chants
New Delhi: The India Gate resonated with
chants of `Vande Mataram` this evening as a large number of
people gathered at the war memorial to "celebrate the victory"
of civil society on Lokpal Bill issue.
Shouting slogans hailing Anna Hazare, who called off
his indefinite hunger strike this morning, people converged at
the war memorial and held a candle light vigil.
Chanting `Vante Mataram`, they took out small
processions near the India Gate. Some families, which had come
there for an evening outing also joined the celebrations.
Carrying anti-corruption placards, the youth danced to
the tunes of drum beats while others took out silent
marches. Some people were seen waving tricolors.
"This is a memorable day. It will be etched in our
memory for ever as people`s will prevailed over those in
power," said Anu Hazarika, an activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts