India Gate reverberates with victory chants
New Delhi: The India Gate resonated with
chants of `Vande Mataram` this evening as a large number of
people gathered at the war memorial to "celebrate the victory"
of civil society on Lokpal Bill issue.
Shouting slogans hailing Anna Hazare, who called off
his indefinite hunger strike this morning, people converged at
the war memorial and held a candle light vigil.
Chanting `Vante Mataram`, they took out small
processions near the India Gate. Some families, which had come
there for an evening outing also joined the celebrations.
Carrying anti-corruption placards, the youth danced to
the tunes of drum beats while others took out silent
marches. Some people were seen waving tricolors.
"This is a memorable day. It will be etched in our
memory for ever as people`s will prevailed over those in
power," said Anu Hazarika, an activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16