India gets Naval `gunfire` to destroy enemy targets
Bangalore: India has developed a new
generation multi-sensor, multi-weapon defence system against
enemy targets on board naval ships.
The state-of-the-art "Gun Fire Control System" (GFCS)
developed by Bharat Electronics Limited will be installed on
board the P-28 class of ships.
"The GFCS is a quick reaction, multi-sensor,
multi-weapon, short/medium/long range defence system against
air, surface or shore targets on board naval ships", a senior
official of the Bangalore-based Navratna defence PSU told a news agency.
The GFCS is designed to provide air, surface or shore
defence with 76 MM and 30 MM guns. Its purpose is to locate a
hostile target using a radar or video tracker, acting on early
warning search radars and to track its approach with high
accuracy, in order to obtain reliable target data.
The data is further processed and used to control the
weapons by pointing it in an exact ballistic firing position
for eventual destruction of the target. The GFCS continues to
track the approaching target, simultaneously pointing the
weapon on it, until it is completely destroyed.
The GFCS comprises five functional sub-systems:
tracker, weapon control, sight control, combat management
system and support systems, each of which can be used as an
The GFCS for the P-28 class of ships would be "handed
over" to Defence Minister A K Antony at a ceremony here in the
presence of BEL Chairman and Managing Director Ashwani Kumar
Datt on February 2.
A state-of-the-art facility, dedicated to manufacture
of Digital Flight Control Computer (DFCC) for the Light Combat
Aircraft (Tejas) at BEL`s Bangalore Complex will also come up.
DFCC is a multiple redundant (improving its
reliability, one channel will take over if another fails)
digital fly-by-wire flight control system of Tejas, which
controls manoeuvering of the aircraft.
DFCC is a flight critical sub-system to be
manufactured as per AS 9100 standards with stringent
in-process and quality control processes, including
environmental tests on each unit.
To meet this requirement, BEL has set up this
integrated manufacturing facility for assembly, inspection and
testing of DFCC, all under one roof.
The facility includes thermal cycling chamber,
vibration machine, dehumidifying chambers for storing PCBs,
high resolution inspection tools to identify process errors,
automated test equipment for rigorous performance testing and
engineering test station for testing the DFCC unit.
Antony will inagurate the DFCC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad