India gives USD 5mn for Chile quake relief
United Nations: India has announced a cash contribution of $5 million for relief and rehabilitation in Chile in a show of solidarity with the people of the earthquake-hit country.
"As a country familiar with the consequences of natural disasters, we fully understand the trauma and suffering that our Chilean brethren are living through," India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri said here Wednesday.
Speaking at an informal meeting of the plenary of the United Nations General Assembly for a briefing by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, he said immediately on hearing the news of the Feb 27earthquake, the Indian government initiated measures to show solidarity with the people of Chile.
Last week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh conveyed to the Chilean president, Dr. Michelle Bachelet, that India would be making a modest cash contribution of US$ 5 million for relief and rehabilitation work following the earthquake, Puri said.
Conveying India`s sincere condolences to the family members of those who have lost their lives and its sympathy and support for the injured, he said, "We have no doubt that the people of Chile have the strength and resilience to overcome this natural disaster."
Appreciating the leadership displayed by Ban in coordinating the UN`s response to the Chilean earthquake, Puri said, "This is truly commendable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’