India got above average rain in last 7 days: IMD
New Delhi: Even as it grapples with fears of a deficit monsoon this year, there was welcome news for the country on the rain front as it received above normal rainfall in the past week.
"The weekly rainfall for the country as a whole was above normal by 24 per cent, which is the highest for the season so far," the Indian Meteorological Department has said.
In the last one week, the country has received 84mm rainfall, which is 24 per cent higher the normal precipitation of 67.8mm. It is the first time this season when rainfall has been above normal.
"A good monsoon system that formed in the Bay of Bengal travelled right from Odisha to Gujarat across Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, bringing good rain in the region during the entire week," said Skymet, a private forecasting agency.
From June 1 to July 23, the MeT department recorded 281mm of rainfall as compared to normal rainfall of 376mm.
The monsoon has been making progress in the north-western part of the country, which was staring at a drought-like situation due to the delay in the onset of rains.
"The Southwest monsoon has been vigorous over Saurashtra, Kutch, Diu and active over Gangetic West Bengal, Gujarat region and south interior Karnataka. It is likely to continue in the active phase, especially over many parts of east and central India.
"Rainfall is likely to increase considerably over the plains of northwest India and adjoining foothills of Himalayas. Near normal rainfall would occur along the west coast," IMD said, adding that rain would be below normal over some parts in the northeastern states and in the south interior peninsula.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani