India had raised Saurabh Kalia issue at UNGA
New Delhi: India has twice raised the issue of Captain Saurabh Kalia, who was tortured and killed by Pakistan Army personnel during the Kargil war in 1999, at the international fora including the UN General Assembly.
The issue has been raised twice by India at the level of UN General Assembly and UN Human Rights Commission, officials sources said here.
They said they are waiting for the petition filed by the N K Kalia-- the father of Captain Kalia, with the UNHCR for ordering a probe into the incident.
He has also filed a plea in the Supreme Court to direct the government to take up the case of his son`s torture at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) at the Hague.
The Supreme Court had on Friday sought response from the Centre on N K Kalia`s plea.
However, India is not in favour of taking the matter to ICJ as it feels that it was a bilateral issue and it has always maintained that there should be "non-interference" by ICJ in "bilateral or internal" matters.
In May 1999, Captain Kalia had gone out for patrol duty in Kaksar area of Kargil along with five other soldiers --Sepoys Arjunram Baswana, Mula Ram Bidiasar, Naresh Singh Sinsinwar, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria and Bhika Ram Mudh.
They were caught by the Pakistan Army, which kept them in captivity for over 22 days and subjected them to brutal torture which was evident from their bodies that were handed over by the Pakistan Army to India on June 9, 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest