India hands over advance passenger info system to Maldives
Male: India on Sunday handed over an Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) to Maldives that would allow authorities here in providing safe and efficient immigration service to travellers to the country, whose main source of foreign revenue is tourism.
The Maldivian authorities said the new system installed at the Male`s Ibrahim Nasir International Airport marks a "giant step" forward in the capability of the country`s immigration to provide better service to the travellers.
The APIS will feed advance information on the passengers travelling to and from Maldives, to the Border Control System in the country, for use by the various enforcement agencies in the country like the immigration, customs and police.
Maldives, with a population of about 350,000, is a world famous luxury tourist destination and receives close to one million foreign tourists every year.
The APIS was formally handed over by High Commissioner of India to Maldives Dnyaneshwar M Mulay to Maldives` Controller of Immigration & Emigration Mohamed Ali.
Speaking on the occasion, Mulay described the handing over of the system as yet another milestone in the bilateral development partnership that has grown from strength to strength over the years.
Ali thanked India for the extensive assistance provided in the development of Maldives and termed the installation of the system as a "giant step" for the country`s immigration service, Indian mission here said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Samsung beat Apple in smartphone shipments amid positive results
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said