India hands over advance passenger info system to Maldives
Male: India on Sunday handed over an Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) to Maldives that would allow authorities here in providing safe and efficient immigration service to travellers to the country, whose main source of foreign revenue is tourism.
The Maldivian authorities said the new system installed at the Male`s Ibrahim Nasir International Airport marks a "giant step" forward in the capability of the country`s immigration to provide better service to the travellers.
The APIS will feed advance information on the passengers travelling to and from Maldives, to the Border Control System in the country, for use by the various enforcement agencies in the country like the immigration, customs and police.
Maldives, with a population of about 350,000, is a world famous luxury tourist destination and receives close to one million foreign tourists every year.
The APIS was formally handed over by High Commissioner of India to Maldives Dnyaneshwar M Mulay to Maldives` Controller of Immigration & Emigration Mohamed Ali.
Speaking on the occasion, Mulay described the handing over of the system as yet another milestone in the bilateral development partnership that has grown from strength to strength over the years.
Ali thanked India for the extensive assistance provided in the development of Maldives and termed the installation of the system as a "giant step" for the country`s immigration service, Indian mission here said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH