India has 214 million hungry people, says report
New Delhi: India has emerged as the world capital of hunger with 214 million hungry people, Vandana Shiva of NGO Navdanya Thursday quoted a report as saying.
"India has emerged as the capital of hunger with 214 million people being denied the right to food," Shiva said, adding that this was more than the total number of hungry people in sub-Saharan Africa.
India also fairs poorly on the Global Hunger Index where it ranks 94 among 118 countries.
"Fifty-seven million children in India are underweight because of lack of adequate nutrition. This is one third of all underweight children in the world," Shiva added, quoting the report "Why is Every 4th Indian Hungry?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read