India has 50 lakh child labourers
New Delhi: Fifty lakh children eke out a livelihood in the country, of whom 17.5 lakh are in Uttarakhand, according to the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO).
The second-largest share of child labourers comes from West Bengal (5.5 lakh), Rajasthan (4.05 lakh) and Gujarat (3.9 lakh), the NSSO estimated on the eve of the World Day against Child Labour Wednesday.
"Though the ban on child labour in homes and in eateries has been there since 2010, thousands of children work as domestic workers or in `dhabas` and even in factories under hazardous conditions," said Thomas Chandy, CEO, Save the Children.
International Labour Organisation (ILO) has marked 2013 as the year to combat child domestic labour, which has become a growing menace in India.
"Immediate enforcement of the provisions of Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986, and all other related acts need to be implemented to prevent the employment of children in bidi rolling or other hazardous occupations," said Bhavna Mukhopadhyay, executive director, Voluntary Health Association of India.
Child labour in India is governed by the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986, to which an amendment was also proposed.
Puja Marwaha, CEO, Child Rights and You (CRY), said: "A child of 14 or 18 years is equally if not more vulnerable to abuse and exploitation as a child of 12 or 13 years. The National Policy of Children 2012 declares that all children from zero to 18 years need to be protected and provided with all the facilities of health, education, nutrition and protection."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check