India has a solid non-proliferation record: US
Washington: Describing India`s non-proliferation record as "solid", the US refused to express any concern on the country`s nuclear-capable Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile launch.
"India has a solid non-proliferation record. They`re engaged with the international community on non- proliferation issues. And Prime Minister (Manmohan) Singh has attended both of the nuclear security summits, the one in Washington and then Seoul," the State Department spokesperson, Mark Toner, told reporters at his daily news conference.
"We urge all nuclear-capable states to exercise restraint regarding nuclear capabilities. That said, you know, India has a solid non-proliferation record," Toner said.
"So you wouldn`t have any specific concerns on it as a destabilising factor in the region?" he was asked again.
"I`ll just stay with, you know, the fact that we always caution all nuclear-capable states to exercise restraint," Toner responded.
"We have got a very strong strategic and security partnership with India. So we obviously have routine discussions about a wide range of topics, including their defence requirements. I`m not aware that we`ve specifically raised this issue with them," he said.
"I understand there are some press reports that it was postponed. You know, naturally, I just would say that we urge all nuclear-capable states to exercise restraint regarding nuclear capabilities," the State Department spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter