India has asked China to cease activities in PoK: Jaitley
New Delhi: The government keeps an eye on Chinese presence in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and has asked China to "cease such activities" there, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley informed Lok Sabha Friday.
"Government pays close attention to Chinese activities in PoK and it has conveyed its concerns to China and asked them to cease such activities," he said in reply to a written query in Lok Sabha.
He said issues are discussed by the government in regular meetings with Chinese counterparts and "entire gamut of bilateral, regional and global issues are discussed."
The presence of Chinese Army troops has been witnessed in recent times and there numbers were estimated to be around 5,000 by the Army couple of years ago. They were mainly involved in construction activities there.
Meanwhile, answering another query on alleged attacks by Sri Lankan Navy on Indian fishermen, Jaitley said continuous efforts by the government have led to the release of 536 of the 541 arrested by that country till July 18.
He said as per a 2008 agreement, the two governments have agreed that there would be no firing on Indian vessels and Indian fishermen would not go to the "sensitive areas" designated by the Sri Lankan government.
To a query on missile test range, the Defence Minister said the DRDO has proposed to set up such ranges in Rutland Islands in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Nagayalanka in Krishna district of Seemandhra state.
Giving out the reasons for delays in execution of road projects by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), Jaitley said delay in forest and environmental clearance, hard rock stretches and difficulty in availability of construction material are the main reasons behind it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court