India has excellent track record of N-safety: Top official
Dubai: Safety of nuclear technology comes through a troika of design, operation and regulation and India has had excellent track record in this regard, a top official has said.
Delivering a speech on `Nuclear Power Programs: India and Global` at the Indian embassy in Abu Dhabi yesterday, Principal Scientific Advisor to Government of India R Chidambaram said the three parameters need to be enveloped by a culture of safety and environment.
Chidambaram said that energy is the driver of development and that India is looking to increase its installed nuclear power capacity to 20,000MW by 2020.
"Nuclear is now an accepted mitigation technology in the context of climate change. But if it is to be sustainable mitigation technology, the nuclear cycle has to be closed. India is planning to do so," Chidambaram said.
The former director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) said what we are looking for is not just nuclear technology but sustainable nuclear technology.
He said that attracting talented students to a career in science is a challenge but the country is beginning to build a research and development ecosystem.
He also commended the achievements of India`s National Knowledge Network, which connects hundreds of labs and research centres.
He said that the BARC training programme, which started in 1957, trains around 200 people every year and has already trained over 8,000 people.
Speaking on the occasion, India`s ambassador to the UAE, MK Lokesh lauded Chidambaram`s contribution to India`s nuclear technology.
"Energy is a major challenge for India and the country needs nuclear power. India`s completely indigenous nuclear programme has not just contributed in this domain but has also helped in areas such as defence, medicine and power generation," Lokesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'