India has non-military interest in Afghanistan: Chidambaram
Washington: India has non-military interest in Afghanistan and any Pakistani fears in this regard are imaginary, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday.
"We have a non-military interest in Afghanistan. We have committed a billion dollars to the reconstruction of Afghanistan. We are building Afghanistan`s parliament. We`re building roads... But we`ve not sent a single soldier to Afghanistan," he told the popular Charlie Rose Show.
"Yes" Chidambaram said when Rose asked if it still scares the Pakistanis to death.
"Pakistan`s fears are imaginary. As I said we have not sent a singled soldier," said the Finance Minister.
"Afghanistan is really not our immediate neighbour. It`s our neighbour`s neighbour. So we recognise that Pakistan has a more than usual interest in Afghanistan. But that`s for Pakistan to find a way in which it can evolve or forge a working relationship," he said.
Responding to a question, Chidambaram exuded confidence that the Kashmir issue can be resolved.
"It can be solved. In fact I`m confident it will be solved one day, once Pakistan has a truly democratically elected government," he said.
On Iran, Chidambaram said India does not favour Iran building nuclear weapons.
"Iran and India have a relationship goes back many years. There have been contacts between India and Iran over centuries. There is no reason why we should regard Iran as our enemy or as a hostile country...," he said.
"Just because the US regards Iran as a hostile force there is no reason for us to share that view. But if Iran attempts to make a nuclear weapon, we are on record saying that we don`t approve of that. The way to go about it is through the International Atomic Energy Agency to persuade Iran to give up any nuclear ambition," he said.
Chidambaram said all evidence suggest that Iran is far away from building a nuclear weapon.
"The question is: are they enriching uranium which will allow them to build a nuclear weapon. All the evidence points that they are quite far away from doing that," he said.
"The IAEA has not said anything to the contrary. I may be wrong. The hard evidence is on the table. Surely the world will rally around to say Iran should not build a nuclear weapon.
India`s position is we cannot afford another country in that region to build a nuclear weapon," Chidambaram said.
"This will have an effect on other countries. Other countries will want to have nuclear weapons. The whole area will get nuclearised and that is bad for world peace," he said.
Chidambaram said, "India has clearly told Iran we do not support Iran`s efforts, if any, to build a nuclear weapon. Maybe they are trying. But at the moment, there is no evidence to say that they are building a nuclear weapon."
He reiterated India`s position that India would not sign the discriminatory nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
"Not the present one which we believe is discriminatory and we have given reasons for that," he said, adding that the present treaty is discriminatory.
"A non-discriminatory treaty surely India will consent".
Chidambaram said India is building nuclear weapon and that is not a secret.
"We have built a nuclear weapon. But we have also said we will never use it. We will never first use a nuclear weapon. And we would work with all the countries of the world towards nuclear disarmament. In fact it is India which proposed the most comprehensive nuclear disarmament plan to the United Nations," Chidambaram said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'