India has potential to be leader in renewable energy: IRENA
New Delhi: India has the potential to be
the leader in the renewable energy sector, International
Renewable Energy Agency chief Helene Pelosse said on Friday.
"I think India has the potential to emerge as the
leader in renewable energy and help the world in making photo
voltaic panels and solar energy commodities in next few
years," she told reporters here.
Asked about India`s plans to focus on nuclear and
coal-based energy sources, she said, "I think they want to
grow their nuclear share and also want to grow through
"At some point, with nuclear, you have the issue of
waste and you have the issue of future as there is not enough
uranium on earth and it is not renewable," she added.
Pelosse said that nuclear waste lasts for 10,000 years
and it was not viable economically also.
IRENA chief had yesterday met New and Renewable Energy
Minister Farooq Abdullah and discussed the potential and
future of renewable energy in the country.
Drawing a parallel with the electronics industry,
Pelosse said that Asia would also become the hub of production
of renewable energy equipment and the shift of industry had
Observing that the world has realised the importance
of renewable energy, she said that a consensus has been
arrived on two major issues in the field by all the nations.
"There is consensus that there is no single energy
application, and that everybody has to go towards renewable
energy sources," Pelosse said.
IRENA has 136 countries as its members and it works to
bring all nations together to move towards renewable energy
from conventional sources. It also provides consultancy to its
member nations in adapting to renewable energy and tapping
Pelosse said renewable energy was essential for
fighting climate change and the only source of energy that
could meet the requirements of the world in future.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Gold Monetisation Scheme mobilises 2.8 tonnes so far
- Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
- Now, Pakistan's spy agency ISI using 'mobile apps' to spy on Indian security forces?
- India rejects USCIRF report on intolerance, says Constitution guarantees right to freedom of religion
- Gold price rises further to Rs 30,250 per 10 grams