India has right to build infrastructure along border: AK Antony
Panaji: Days after the standoff with China over intrusion in Ladakh, India on Saturday defended its right to build border infrastructure and said Army and Air Force will continue to shore up their capabilities "on our own land".
"Each country has a right to build border infrastructure in their own land. If China has a right to develop infrastructure, India also has a right. Over the years, the building of infrastructure has been going on," Defence Minister AK Antony told reporters.
The 21-day stand-off in Daulat Beg Oldi sector had ended on May 5 after the two sides agreed to pull back their troops to their earlier positions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Reports have suggested that it was only after India agreed to dismantle its positions in Chumar area in Ladakh that the Chinese side agreed to withdraw its troops from Depsang valley in Daulat Beg Oldi sector there. But External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had said that "no deal" was struck for ending the stand-off in Ladakh.
The Chinese side had contended that infrastructure activities being carried out by them on their side were developmental in nature.
"The Army and Air Force have been increasing their capabilities (along the border) and they will continue doing that on our own land," Antony said.
Asked whether India has begun dismantling its bunkers in Chumar sector, he said, "The general discussions on the topic are over. The implementation part has to be done by commanders of both the armies on ground."
The Defence Minister insisted that India firmly believed in finding solution to disputes through diplomatic channels.
"India believes in finding solution to disputes through negotiations and discussions. We have well established procedure to settle these disputes.
"The stand off is over and both sides have agreed to maintain status quo ante," said Antony, who was here to commission fighter aircraft MiG 29Ks Black Panther squadron at INS Hansa.
He evaded a direct reply when asked if it was India`s failure to prevent the Chinese army from intruding into its territory, saying, "after whatever happened between both the countries, both have decided to maintain status quo ante."
Antony said negotiations were on with China on border cooperation and an officer from the Indian army had also accompanied Khurshid on his China visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings