India has successfully developed SLBM for INS Arihant
New Delhi: India has successfully developed its first submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) for the indigenous nuclear submarine `INS Arihant`, joining an elite club of nations possessing such weaponry.
The SLBM, which can be launched from Arihant, has been developed successfully, sources said here.
Senior DRDO Scientist and Director of Hyderabad-based Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) A K Chakrabarti was honoured today by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at a function here for his "outstanding contributions in the successful development of the first SLBM system for the nuclear powered platform Arihant."
The development of the underwater-launched ballistic missile will help India in completing its nuclear triad under which now it will have the option to strike from air, land and under the sea.
At present, very few countries including the US, Russia, France, China and the UK have the capability to carry out submarine-based ballistic missile strikes.
Specifications with regard to the Indian missile were not immediately known but its strike range is believed to be around 700 kms.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata