India has successfully developed SLBM for INS Arihant
New Delhi: India has successfully developed its first submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) for the indigenous nuclear submarine `INS Arihant`, joining an elite club of nations possessing such weaponry.
The SLBM, which can be launched from Arihant, has been developed successfully, sources said here.
Senior DRDO Scientist and Director of Hyderabad-based Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) A K Chakrabarti was honoured today by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at a function here for his "outstanding contributions in the successful development of the first SLBM system for the nuclear powered platform Arihant."
The development of the underwater-launched ballistic missile will help India in completing its nuclear triad under which now it will have the option to strike from air, land and under the sea.
At present, very few countries including the US, Russia, France, China and the UK have the capability to carry out submarine-based ballistic missile strikes.
Specifications with regard to the Indian missile were not immediately known but its strike range is believed to be around 700 kms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next