India has taken up IDPs’ issue with Sri Lanka: Sonia
Chennai: Expressing concern over some of
the displaced Tamil civilians still being lodged in camps in
Sri Lanka, Congress president Sonia Gandhi has said India has
taken up the matter with that country so that they are
moved out of the camps at the earliest.
In her reply to a letter written by Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister M Karunanidhi on the issue, Gandhi said the Indian
government was extending whatever humanitarian and
resettlement assistance possible to alleviate hardships faced
by the displaced Tamil civilians.
The issue of resettlement and rehabilitation as well
as reconstruction process in the war ravaged areas had been
taken up at an appropriate level in Sri Lanka so that the
civilians would be able to move out of the camps at the
earliest, she said in the letter.
Around 25,000 of the total 2.90 lakh Tamil civilians
displaced due to the civil war are still lodged in various
camps in Sri Lanka.
Karunanidhi, whose DMK is part of the UPA government,
had written to Gandhi on October 8 in this regard.
Sonia Gandhi`s letter to the DMK chief was released to
the media by the state government today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended