India hopes 2nd round of Maldives vote will be peaceful, fair
New Delhi: India on Monday asked Maldives and its people to ensure an environment conducive to a peaceful and transparent second round of Presidential election on September 28 while congratulating them for successful conclusion of the first round.
Reiterating its resolve to strengthen institutions of democracy in Maldives, India said the high turnout was indicative of commitment of Maldivians towards consolidation of democracy there.
It also expressed the conviction that the candidates would accept the verdict of the people and work together for a peaceful transition.
"We congratulate the people of Maldives for the peaceful conclusion of the first round of Presidential elections held on September 7, 2013. The exceptionally high turnout of 88.44 per cent was indicative of the high commitment attached by the people of Maldives towards a consolidation of democracy in the country," the spokesperson in External Affairs Ministry said.
He also said the high-level delegation of Indian observers had noted that polling was "orderly and unblemished by any notable incident".
The six teams of Indian observers covered 158 polling booths (33.6 per cent of total booths) across the country.
"They appreciated the competence, industry and cheerfulness of the election staff, mutual trust between the candidates, representatives and counting personnel and above all the discipline, patience and dignity of the Maldivian voters," he added.
The second round will take place between Former President Mohammmed Nasheed and Progressive Party of Maldives candidate Abdulla Yameen.
The run-off between top two candidates became necessary as none of the candidates managed to secure the crucial 50 per cent votes in the first round held on Saturday.
While Maldivian Democratic Party leader and former Nasheed managed little over 45 per cent votes, Progressive Party of Maldives candidate and ex-president Abdul Gayoom`s brother Yameen secured just 25 per cent of over two lakh votes polled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason