India hopes for comprehensive settlement in Cyprus
New Delhi: India on Tuesday hoped for a
comprehensive settlement in Cyprus based on a bi-communal, bi
-zonal federation as set out in the relevant UN Security
During talks with visiting Cyprus Foreign Minister
Markos Kyprianou, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said
India stood for the sovereignty, territorial integrity and
unity of the Republic of Cyprus.
The two leaders discussed bilateral matters and
regional and international issues of mutual interest, Ministry
of External Affairs said in a release.
"India and Cyprus have enjoyed a traditionally close
and time-tested friendship bound by a common commitment to
democracy, pluralism and the rule of law," it said, adding
that the two countries have consistently extended support to
each other in multilateral fora including at the UN.
Recalling traditional ties of friendship and
cooperation between India and Cyprus, the two ministers
reaffirmed their common desire to enhance bilateral relations
in all mutually beneficial areas.
Kyprianou briefed Krishna on the committed efforts of
his Government for finding a resolution of the Cyprus issue.
He also expressed his deep appreciation for "India`s
longstanding and principled support towards finding a just and
lasting settlement that would lead to the peaceful re-
unification" of Cyprus.
Krishna "reiterated that India stood for the
sovereignty, territorial integrity and unity of the Republic
of Cyprus and expressed the hope for a comprehensive
settlement based on a bi-communal, bi-zonal federation as set
out in the relevant UN Security Council Resolutions," it said.
Kyprianou also reiterated Cyprus` support for India`s
candidature for permanent membership of an expanded UN
The visiting Foreign Minister extended an invitation
to Krishna to visit Cyprus on mutually convenient dates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?