‘India hopes to meet high expectations on UNSC’
New York: As India assumes the
month-long presidency of the UN Security Council, the
international community has "very high expectations" from it,
New Delhi`s envoy to the United Nations, Hardeep Singh Puri
said on Tuesday.
Puri said India will conduct itself with "political
maturity, dignity" and in a manner which enhances the prestige
of the Security Council and which serves the overall interest
of the UN.
"More than India, rest of the international community
has very high expectations from India`s presidency of the
"Not only will we meet those expectations but after we
are through with the presidency... people will say here is a
country which truly deserves to be a permanent member" of the
UNSC, Puri said here.
India, which assumed the rotating presidency of the
UNSC yesterday, had last held the position in December 1992.
Puri said while the presidency does give India an
opportunity to focus on issues of importance to it, India will
be "very realistic about what Security Council membership
entails and what the presidency of the council involves".
He added that India does not want to be short-sighted
and immature by utilising the presidency to push forward few
issues of paramount concern only to it.
"The manner in which you conduct yourself in the
deliberations of the Council, the kind of positions you take,
the political maturity which you display not only as the
member of the Council but more in the presidency, those
ultimately reflect on the country`s credentials".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror