India in talks for buying 57 additional Hawk advanced trainers
Farnborough: India is in the process of
finalising with the UK the terms of reference for buying an
additional 57 Hawk advanced trainer for the Indian Air Force,
Minister of State for Defence M M Pallamraju has said.
"The government has decided to exercise the option of
buying an additional 57 Hawk trainer jets manufactured by the
British Aerospace. Details of the contract and the terms of
reference of the deal are being negotiated with the UK,"
Pallamraju, who is leading Indian delegation to the
Farnborough Air Show, the biggest in the world, said.
India, which had earlier signed a deal for purchase of
the two-seater Hawk trainer planes, has already received 24 of
the single-engine aircraft in a fly-away condition. Of the
another 42 of the planes, which were to be produced by the
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, six have been supplied to the
The Hawk, which can also be used as a combat aircraft,
provides advance stage three training to IAF pilots. It can
fly at a maximum speed of 1.2 times the speed of sound.
The Minister, who is on a six-day visit to the UK,
refused to give a time-frame for finalising the terms of
reference of the multi-billion dollar deal.
The Hawk is used by the Royal Air Force and 900 of them
have supplied to 18 countries so far.
Pallamraju, who has been interacting with top armament
manufacturers here, said he told them that they stand a better
chance of bagging orders from India if they agree to make the
country self-reliant in weapon systems.
The Minister, who arrived in London on Saturday, had
met top brass of Russian weapons manufacturers, British
Aerospace, EADS, Saab, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon. He has
also had a meeting with Prince Andrew, who is Britain`s
Ambassador for Industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown