India indicates soldiers’ killing to affect ties with Pakistan
New Delhi: Even as the nation expressed outrage over the brutal killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops along the Line of Control, sources in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said that the incident would have implications on the bilateral ties.
Highly-placed sources said that the gruesome killing of two Indian soldiers would affect ties between India and Pakistan, adding it would also have an implication on the future dialogue process.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had also earlier warned that the Pakistan action could be "counter-productive" in efforts by the two neighbouring countries to improve bilateral relations.
Also today, India summoned Pakistan’s High Commissioner Salman Bashir and lodged strong protest over the brutal killing of the two Indian soldiers.
Bashir met Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai at South Block where the issue was brought up.
India has described the attack and the mutilation of bodies of its two soldiers as "highly provocative", "extremely distressing" and "inhuman".
"Pakistan Army`s action is highly provocative. The way they treated the dead bodies of Indian soldiers is inhuman,” Defence Minister AK Antony said.
Salman Khurshid said the way the bodies of the two Indian soldiers were treated was "extremely extremely distressing" and "ghastly" and that this will be taken up seriously with Pakistan.
"It is an extremely sensitive matter. It is a matter of great concern. We will do whatever we can do," he said, adding, "we will take up the matter seriously with Pakistan government."
Pakistani regular soldiers crossed into Indian territory in Poonch and ambushed an Indian patrol killing two soldiers, one of whom was decapitated.
Army`s Additional Director General (Public Information) Major General SL Narasimhan yesterday confirmed that one of the two bodies was mutilated.
Other sources said the heads of both the Indian soldiers -- Lance Naiks, Hemraj and Sudhakar Singh -- have been chopped off and one was taken away by Pakistani intruders.
The attack took place along the LoC in Poonch district when Pakistanis came about 100 metres into Indian territory and assaulted the patrol party.
Besides killing two, they also injured two other soldiers and took away their weapons and other belongings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader