India involved in discussions on W Asia: E Ahamed
New Delhi: India on Wednesday sought to dispel the
notion that it was not adequately represented at discussions
on West Asia in the international fora.
Replying to supplementaries in the Lok Sabha, Minister of
State for External Affairs E Ahamed said India`s
representative in Ramallah is involved in all the discussions.
"But at the very same time, we do not interfere in their
domestic and internal matters," he said replying to a question
put by Congress member Shashi Tharoor.
Ahamed said within this framework India has been attending
to meetings wherever it is necessary.
"As a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security
Council, we closely co-ordinate with other members to ensure
peaceful solutions to problems in the region," he said.
"We have long standing close relations with countries in
the Middle-Eastern region dating back to millennia. We accord
the highest priority to peace and harmony in the region,"
He said West Asia was extremely important from the point
of view of trade and investment, including energy security.
Tharoor had said there was a perception that India does
not engage with the high-enough level with these countries on
strategic issues and were absent at the UN quartet discussions
on the policy in West Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'