India, Iran must promote trade, economic links: Prez
New Delhi: India and Iran must work together to further promote trade and economic links, increased people- to-people contacts between them and within the region, President Pranab Mukherjee has said.
Welcoming a Parliamentary delegation from the Islamic Republic of Iran at Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President said, "Throughout history, both countries have seen an inter-mingling of people and cultures."
Mukherjee said yesterday, "India and Iran have a strong bilateral economic relationship and it needs to further deepen for the benefit of peoples of both countries.
"We must work together to promote trade and economic links and increased people-to-people contacts between us and within the region."
The excellent bilateral relations between both countries have been strengthened through high-level exchanges and regular engagement through various dialogue mechanisms, he said, according to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement.
The President said Iran remains an important source of crude for India. "Presently, our bilateral trade is weighted in favour of Iran. Indian markets are open to Iranian exports. India hopes that Iran would source more goods from India," he said.
India and Iran, Mukherjee said, have a responsibility to address the challenges to region and the world like terrorism, energy security, food security, climate change, environment and natural disasters.
"Peace and stability in Afghanistan is a key to the progress in the region," Mukherjee said.
The President expressed happiness that India and Iran are engaged in regular exchange of information and views on the developments in Afghanistan.
India is actively engaged in the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan.
Dr Ali Larijani, Speaker of the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majlis), leader of the delegation, said Iran looks forward to a strategic and long-term partnership with India.
"India and Iran come from same roots and their destinies are the same. A large area of cooperation is possible between the two countries," he said.
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) and HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 3