India, Iran must promote trade, economic links: Prez
New Delhi: India and Iran must work together to further promote trade and economic links, increased people- to-people contacts between them and within the region, President Pranab Mukherjee has said.
Welcoming a Parliamentary delegation from the Islamic Republic of Iran at Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President said, "Throughout history, both countries have seen an inter-mingling of people and cultures."
Mukherjee said yesterday, "India and Iran have a strong bilateral economic relationship and it needs to further deepen for the benefit of peoples of both countries.
"We must work together to promote trade and economic links and increased people-to-people contacts between us and within the region."
The excellent bilateral relations between both countries have been strengthened through high-level exchanges and regular engagement through various dialogue mechanisms, he said, according to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement.
The President said Iran remains an important source of crude for India. "Presently, our bilateral trade is weighted in favour of Iran. Indian markets are open to Iranian exports. India hopes that Iran would source more goods from India," he said.
India and Iran, Mukherjee said, have a responsibility to address the challenges to region and the world like terrorism, energy security, food security, climate change, environment and natural disasters.
"Peace and stability in Afghanistan is a key to the progress in the region," Mukherjee said.
The President expressed happiness that India and Iran are engaged in regular exchange of information and views on the developments in Afghanistan.
India is actively engaged in the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan.
Dr Ali Larijani, Speaker of the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majlis), leader of the delegation, said Iran looks forward to a strategic and long-term partnership with India.
"India and Iran come from same roots and their destinies are the same. A large area of cooperation is possible between the two countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections