India, Iraq should fight the menace of terrorism: Meira Kumar
New Delhi: India and Iraq should fight against the menace of terrorism as both the countries are its victims, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar stressed when a Parliamentary delegation from Iraq called on her on Monday.
The delegation was led by the President (Speaker) of the Council of Representatives, Parliament of Iraq, Osama Abdul-Aziz-Mohamd AI-Nujaefi.
During the meeting here, Kumar stressed the need for increasing people-to-people contacts between India and Iraq and reiterated India`s deep commitment in the reconstruction of Iraq.
The Speaker also offered India`s assistance in sharing the expertise in parliamentary practices and procedures with Iraq.
"Both India and Iraq should fight against the menace of terrorism together as both the countries are victims of terrorism," Kumar said.
Observing that bilateral relations between Iraq and India have been traditionally friendly and warm and there have been regular cultural interactions and economic trade since time immemorial, she recalled the two countries established diplomatic relations soon after India got its independence in 1947.
There has been striking commonality between them on a number of global issues, she said.
Reciprocating the sentiments, the Iraqi Speaker invited Kumar to visit his country and thanked her for "excellent hospitality" extended to his delegation, a Lok Sabha press office release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda