India is a model to the world for religious harmony: Dalai Lama
Kochi: Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, today said India, where different religious traditions "live harmoniously", is a model to other parts of world, and should continue to keep this tradition.
"India is a model.Different religious traditions live peacefully and harmoniously. Please keep this tradition," Dalai Lama said at the valedictory of the year-long celebration of the 1,960 year-old Malankara Orthodox Syrian church here.
Describing India as `Arya Bhumi`, the Nobel Laureate said "we consider this country spiritually very, very important." In the last 2000-3000 years, different religious traditions, including Buddhism, Jainism, flourished here."
"India has great heritage.There is harmony among different religious traditions.India is a land where people of different religious faiths can live peacefully and harmoniously here. India`s tradition is very relevant in today`s world," he said.
For thousands of years, India carried the message of `Ahimsa` which was relevant even today, he said, adding, "we should ourselves create inner peace by practising love and compassion in daily life."
In the 21st century, people everywhere talk about money and material value. That is also important. Material wealth provides physical comfort. Mental comfort is possible only by faith, he said.
"A disturbed mind is very bad for health, while a healthy mind and health body go together. Material wealth alone will not bring happiness," the spiritual leader said.
Former President A P J Abdul Kalam said there is need for a combination of economic prosperity and spiritual way of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video