India is a model to the world for religious harmony: Dalai Lama
Kochi: Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, today said India, where different religious traditions "live harmoniously", is a model to other parts of world, and should continue to keep this tradition.
"India is a model.Different religious traditions live peacefully and harmoniously. Please keep this tradition," Dalai Lama said at the valedictory of the year-long celebration of the 1,960 year-old Malankara Orthodox Syrian church here.
Describing India as `Arya Bhumi`, the Nobel Laureate said "we consider this country spiritually very, very important." In the last 2000-3000 years, different religious traditions, including Buddhism, Jainism, flourished here."
"India has great heritage.There is harmony among different religious traditions.India is a land where people of different religious faiths can live peacefully and harmoniously here. India`s tradition is very relevant in today`s world," he said.
For thousands of years, India carried the message of `Ahimsa` which was relevant even today, he said, adding, "we should ourselves create inner peace by practising love and compassion in daily life."
In the 21st century, people everywhere talk about money and material value. That is also important. Material wealth provides physical comfort. Mental comfort is possible only by faith, he said.
"A disturbed mind is very bad for health, while a healthy mind and health body go together. Material wealth alone will not bring happiness," the spiritual leader said.
Former President A P J Abdul Kalam said there is need for a combination of economic prosperity and spiritual way of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP