India is a pivotal player in the region: Pentagon
Washington: The Pentagon on Wednesday called India a pivotal player in the region saying that the country was a very important strategic partner of the United States.
"India is a pivotal player in the region, obviously. They`re a very important strategic partner of the United States, and the Secretary (of Defense) expressed his gratitude to the Indian government for their willingness to help train the ANSF," the Pentagon Press Secretary, George Little, told reporters during a news conference.
"He did encourage the Indian government to continue that effort and even to expand it. So we think that`s a very important step for the Indians to consider as part of their role in fostering greater peace and security in the region, to include in Afghanistan," Little said in response to a question on the recent visit of the Defense Secretary, Leon Panetta, to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets