India is being ruled by ‘weak’ leaders: Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad/Washington: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday hit out at the UPA government over its handling of foreign policy, saying the country is being ruled by "weak" leaders.
Asserting that he has given a new meaning to "development" during his 12-year rule in Gujarat, Modi also said the greatest challenge facing India is restoring the "trust" of the people. He also criticized the government on corruption issues.
Modi made these remarks in his hour-long address to the NRI community living in 20 cities across US through video conference on the occasion of Gujarat Day celebrations. The address was followed by a question and answer session.
"I know what damage it can cause when rulers of a country are weak. You should look at the incidents of past one month," he said.
"I am shocked to see, that China withdraws its forces to its territories but I don`t understand that why Indian army is pulling back its forces from Indian soil?" he asked.
Against the backdrop of China`s incursion in eastern Ladakh last month, Modi said, "I have a simple question to Delhi government that China enters in our land and pulls back, that`s one thing. But what are the reasons we have pulled back from our own land? This raises the questions in the minds of common people."
Going further, Modi said, "Can you imagine our soldiers getting beheaded? And after some days Prime Minister of that country being offered chicken biryani here. This raises questions. Questions about China knocking doors at our land." External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid hosted a lunch in Jaipur in March in honour of former Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf.
The BJP strongman claimed his model in Gujarat has taken development to new heights and that the nation`s biggest challenge is lack of trust, absence of confidence and to restore it.
"People ask me about what is the biggest challenge before us at present in our country. I strongly believe that the biggest challenge we are facing is absence of confidence. No one trusts anyone. Country has lost confidence in every institutions which we have been relying upon," he said.
"We have to restore this trust. We have to bring back the confidence in system, process, intentions, policies, moralities. This is the biggest challenge before the country. We need trust in our country. We need trust in leaders, in parties, in policies," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'