India is largest functional democracy: President
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday said India was the largest functional democracy in the world, with its own strength which manifests itself whenever the situation demands.
"It is necessary for us to know about our roots and the place from where we originated," he said, interacting with participants of the 25th "Know India Programme for Diaspora Youth" organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs.
The president said the programme would be an enriching experience for young men and women. The group, which called on the president at Rashtrapati Bhavan, comprised 27 young men and women from eight countries, an official release said.
The programme is organised for youth of Indian origin from various countries to make them familiar with the transformation taking place in the country.
The three-week orientation programme for diaspora youth provides a unique forum for students and young professionals of Indian origin to visit India, share their views, expectations and experiences and develop closer bonds with contemporary India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!