India is largest functional democracy: President
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday said India was the largest functional democracy in the world, with its own strength which manifests itself whenever the situation demands.
"It is necessary for us to know about our roots and the place from where we originated," he said, interacting with participants of the 25th "Know India Programme for Diaspora Youth" organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs.
The president said the programme would be an enriching experience for young men and women. The group, which called on the president at Rashtrapati Bhavan, comprised 27 young men and women from eight countries, an official release said.
The programme is organised for youth of Indian origin from various countries to make them familiar with the transformation taking place in the country.
The three-week orientation programme for diaspora youth provides a unique forum for students and young professionals of Indian origin to visit India, share their views, expectations and experiences and develop closer bonds with contemporary India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption