India-Japan discuss how to tackle China
Tokyo: With both India and Japan having
territorial disputes with China, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
and his Japanese counterpart Naoto Kan India today exchanged
notes on dealing with the big neighbour and agreed to engage
with it closely and productively to resolve their issues.
During the course of their discussions, Kan and Singh
discussed what kind of relations their countries had with
China, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao told reporters while
briefing on the talks between the two leaders.
Japan has maritime dispute with China while India has
land boundary issue to resolve with that country.
Rao said the two leaders discussed how important their
relations were with China from the strategic, security and
economic point of view and how both countries desire peaceful
and productive relationship with China.
They deliberated upon how it was important to engage
China in "closer and more open dialogue," she said, adding the
Indian side cited examples in this regard.
The Japanese Prime Minister was interested in knowing
from Singh the development of India`s relations with China in
terms of trade and economy which has grown even while issues
Talking about the disputes with China, Rao said Singh
mentioned the "very well functioning system" to discuss these
differences with China in an "engaging way".
Both sides felt that "this is the best way to deal
with China to draw it into productive discussions to resolve
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price