India, Japan to hold talks on foreign policy, defence issues
New Delhi: India and Japan will hold their second round of `2+2` dialogue on foreign policy issues and defence matters on Monday in Tokyo, ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit there from November 15 for annual bilateral Summit.
Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma will represent India at the dialogue meetings, official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akbaruddin said here on Thursday.
Apart from reviewing status of bilateral ties and deliberate upon regional and international issues of mutual interest, the two sides will also discuss global security situation, official sources said.
While Japan has been holding similar consultations with the US and Australia, this is India`s first 2+2 dialogue which is an indication of the growing proximity between India and Japan.
The first 2+2 India-Japan interaction was held in July 2010. Intended to be an annual event, however, the meeting could not be held last year due to scheduling problems, the spokesperson said.
Mathai will first hold Foreign Office Consultations (FoCs) which will be followed by consultations with the Japanese Vice Foreign Minister and Sharma will co-chair the India-Japan Defence Policy Dialogue.
Scheduled ahead of meeting between Singh and his Japanese counterpart, Yoshihiko Noda, the officials will also discuss the agenda and possible deliverables during the Summit-level meeting.
India is hoping for some Japanese investment and projects to flow towards India, especially in the field of rare earth metals, due to Tokyo?s tension with Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS