India, Kazakhstan to unveil roadmap for strategic ties
Astana: India and Kazakhstan will unveil
a roadmap for development of their strategic partnership here
tomorrow when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President
Nursultan Nazarbaev hold talks amid keenness on both sides to
step up relations, including nuclear and hydrocarbon sectors.
The roadmap will spell out how the two countries
intend to take their relations in the future, Kazakh Deputy
Foreign Minister Kairat Umarov told a select group of
"The visit of the Prime Minister is important for
strengthening strategic cooperation and developing relations,"
said Umarov on Singh`s first visit.
He said Kazakhstan was interested in developing
relations with India in a range of areas, including civil
nuclear, hydrocarbon, agriculture, cyber security, textiles
Talking about civil nuclear cooperation, he said there
should be no fears on developing this because of what happened
Umarov, who was Kazakhstan`s Ambassador to India till
2009, said the Japan incident was a "temporary" phase and in
the long run, nuclear energy will be crucially required.
He noted that whatever happened in Japan was not a
technical glitch but caused by natural calamity, which
necessitated the need for re-assessing the safety of the
Referring to the proposed agreement under which ONGC
Videsh Limited (OVL) will acquire 25 per cent stake in
Satpayev oil block, Umarov said it would enable India to sell
oil locally and the cash earned could be utilised for purchase
of energy elsewhere till adequate facilities are in place to
carry energy to India.
He said Kazakhstan favoured multiple channels of
transporting hydrocarbons from the landlocked country to India
and mentioned the proposed Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-
Pakistan-India (TAPI) pipeline project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says