India, Lanka to hold joint naval exercise
Colombo: India and Sri Lanka will hold a
joint naval exercise next year as part of efforts to boost the
bilateral defence cooperation in the post-LTTE era.
This was decided during the talks Defence Secretary
Pradeep Kumar, who is here on a three-day visit, had with the
Sri Lankan leadership, the President`s office said today.
Kumar, who called on President Mahinda Rajapaksa this
morning, said during the meeting that "the prevailing good
defence relationship between India and Sri Lanka should be
further expanded and strengthened."
"Defence Dialogue between India and Sri Lanka should be
further expanded to include army and navy," he said, according
to a statement issued by the President`s office.
Kumar had a bilateral meeting with his counterpart
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa and External Affairs Minister G L Peiris
At their talks yesterday, both countries decided to hold
an annual defence dialogue, which was initially agreed during
the meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
President Rajapaksa in June.
It was also agreed that the two countries will have a
joint naval exercise in the Sri Lankan waters in 2011, the
President`s office said.
The Indian Air Force has also been invited for Sri Lankan
Air Force`s Diamond Jubilee celebrations which fall next year.
Besides, Kumar informed Rajapaksa that India will offer
1400 training placements for the Sri Lankan security
President Rajapaksa welcomed the initiatives to
strengthen defence cooperation between the two countries, the
The Indian Defence Secretary emphasised the importance of
increasing service-to-service cooperation between the two
During his visit, Kumar also paid homage to the slain
Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) soldiers, who laid their
lives in Sri Lanka during the fight with the LTTE in late
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof