India leads growth in world population
Siddharth Tak and Rohit Joshi / Zee Research Group
India was the first country in the world to launch a national programme for family planning in 1952. However, during the last eleven years, India’s population has witnessed the maximum growth when compared to the highly populated nations of the world.
According to a Zee Research Group analysis, in the last eleven years India’s population has grown by a maximum growth rate of almost 19 per cent, followed by Brazil (15.38), Indonesia (14.86), US (10.94) and China (5.35).
The World Population Day is observed across the globe on July 11, when most of countries aim to increase the awareness on the various population issues like family planning, maternal health, newborn health, sexual and reproductive health.
As per the 2011 report of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), an international development agency, it reveals that the one billion population mark was reached in 1804 and it took 123 years to cross 2 billion marks in 1927.
However, the rapid growth of the world population started six decades back in 1950.After crossing the 2 billion mark, population grew to 3 billion in 1959 and that too in just 32 years. Four billion mark was crossed in 1974 and addition of this billion just took 15 years which is half the time taken to reach 3 from 2 billion. After another 13 years, population crossed 5 billion mark in 1987. Furthermore, 6 and 7 billion population mark was crossed in year 1999 and 2011 respectively and both these landmarks took additional 12 years to reach over there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter