India-led UNSC seeks political solution in Syria
United Nations: The UN Security Council under India`s presidency has called on Syrian authorities to cease the use of force, saying an inclusive and Syrian-led political process is the only solution to the crisis there.
Such a process should aim at "effectively addressing the legitimate aspirations and concerns of the population which will allow the full exercise of fundamental freedoms for its entire population, including that of expression and peaceful assembly," it said Wednesday in a presidential statement.
The council, chaired by India`s Permanent UN Representative Hardeep Singh Puri, expressed "its grave concern at the deteriorating situation in Syria, and expresses profound regret at the death of many hundreds of people".
The Security Council also condemned the widespread violations of human rights and the use of force against civilians by the Syrian authorities.
"The Security Council notes the announced commitments by the Syrian authorities to reform, and regrets the lack of progress in implementation, and called upon the Syrian Government to implement its commitments." the presidential statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre